Bernheimer House Where things happen in Port Gibson Mississippi!!!

212 Walnut Street Port Gibson, Mississippi (601) 437-8873 or (601) 437-8886

bulletChartered as a town on March 12, 1803, Port Gibson is Mississippi's third oldest settlement, being occupied in 1729. Port Gibson was the site of several clashes during the American Civil War and was important during Ulysses S. Grant's Vicksburg Campaign. The Battle of Port Gibson occurred on May 1st, 1863 and resulted in the deaths of over 200 Federal and Confederate soldiers. The battle was an important turning point in the Confederate's ability to hold Mississippi and defend against an amphibious attack.

bulletBernheimer House built in 1901

      

bulletAlthough The Bernheimer House is the largest house in Port Gibson it's not the oldest. Because General U.S.Grant thought the town was "too besutiful to burn" there are many buldings that were built in the first half of the 1800's
bulletThe Engelsing House, 702 Church st. (Hy 61) built in 1817, the birthplase of Constance Carey who was one of the young ladies involved in making the first Confederate battleflag. The small formal garden is the oldest one of its type remaining in Mississippi.

      

bulletStop by 212 Carroll st. The Restoration Café this building was built in 1839 and has been a meeting place in Port Gibson ever since. It's now a Casual Affordable Neighborhood Restaurant. Drop in and have a cold drink or a cup of the best coffee in town. After you leave the Restoration Café walk down to the corner of the street and take a look at the Mississippi Blues Trail Marker. In this building Blues Pioneers like Louis Jordan, Rufus Thomas, "Ma" Rainey, Big Joe Williams and maney others stayed from 1918 until 1959. (http://www.msbluestrail.org/blues_trail/)

      

bulletIf you would like to take a ride, about 10 miles west on Rodney Rd (Hy 552) you will find the Windsor Ruins. Construction on the house started in 1859 and it was completed in 1861. The house served as a Union hospital after the Battle of Port Gibson in May, 1863. Located 10 miles west of Port Gibson, the family maintained their own commissary, doctor's office, school and dairy on the bottom floor of the mansion, along with the kitchen and storage areas. The second story floor plan reveals two parlors, library and, unusual to that period, a bedroom with a bathroom and study. Also, located on this floor was the dining room. Eight bedrooms and an additional bathroom were located on the top floor. On February 17, 1890, fire broke out in the house after a house guest accidentally dropped a cigarette in debris left by carpenters making repairs to the third floor. All was destroyed except a few pieces of china and 23 of the columns, balustrades and iron stairs.

bulletPick up some box lunches at the Restoration Cafe and take a ride north to the Grand Gulf Military Park located eight miles northwest of Port Gibson, Mississippi off Highway 61, this 400 acre landmark is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and includes Fort Cobun and Fort Wade, the Grand Gulf Cemetery, a museum, campgrounds, picnic areas, hiking trails, an observation tower, and several restored buildings dating back to Grand Gulf's heyday.

      

 

bulletOn Greenwood st. you'll find Wintergreen Cemetery Established in 1807 (one of the oldest cemeteries in Mississippi ) this is the final resting place for most of the Confederate soldiers killed in the battle of Port Gibson. Shortly after the battle, the townspeople removed the Confederate dead from the battlefield and interred them here in Soldiers' Row.

      

 

bullet
bulletThough none of the Bernheimer clan remains in Port Gibson today, their house still stands as a Bed and Breakfast as well as a tribute to the region's Jewish past.  It is not the same house that was occupied by General Grant and his troops, as the original home was destroyed by a fire in 1900.  The current structure was built in 1901.

      

Send mail to CompanyWebmaster with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2006 CompanyLongName
Last modified: 01/04/08